CRICOS PROGRAM CODE: 105902M
This qualification reflects the role of individuals who have not yet entered the workforce, and are developing the necessary skills in preparation for work. They may undertake a variety of simple tasks under close supervision.
This qualification provides a range of introductory skills and knowledge to provide individuals with an understanding of the business environment.
Delivery will occur over a 26 weeks (24 weeks training and 2 weeks holiday break) period of full time study.
Where students successfully apply for credit and/or RPL the course duration will be shorten accordingly and adjustments made to any COE issued or remove it or add to course duration.
Entry/ Admission Requirements
- Pre-Training Review (PTR):
Selection for enrolment in SPI courses will be approved for applicants who meet the qualification selection criteria during the PTR prior to the confirmation of enrolment at SPI. A satisfactory outcome of PTR with authorised SPI Staff or representative will ensure applicants are placed in a suitable course with an appropriate training and assessment strategy, SPI review applicants existing knowledge, skills, experience and qualifications. SPI will then review this information in conjunction with other admission requirements below.
SPI requires that all students must be 18 years of age or above at the commencement of the course.
Prior Achievement Requirements
- Basic Computer Skills
- A good command of written English
* Students with overseas qualifications will need to have level equivalency determined by the Department of Education, Skills and Employment, online applications here:
- The qualification has been analysed to determine the Australian Core Skills Framework (ACSF) levels of Learning, Reading, Writing, Oral Communication and Numeracy. This is detailed in the Certificate I in Workplace Skills ACSF Profile.
- Students entering this qualification will have their LLN skills compared to the ACSF levels of the course to determine if there are specific support requirements needed, and make a recommendation about the suitability of the student to enrol.
- See the SPI LLN Policy & Procedures for more details.
English Language Requirements
All students entering this qualification must have the following minimum score of an internationally recognized English Language proficiency tests or equivalent in line with DHA recommendations
- IELTS overall band of 5.5 or
- TOEFL IBT test score band of 54-56 equivalents or
- PTE Academic band score 42 equivalent or
- Satisfactory completion of General English
– Upper Intermediate level or
- Successful completion of Certificate III in Spoken and Written English (10725NAT) or equivalent course or
- Successful completion of Senior Secondary certificate of education in Australia conducted in English or
- Completion of full-time studies in Australia towards a Certificate IV or above or a foundation course or
- Student’s first language is English or
- Student was educated for 5 years in an English speaking country.
If there are doubts about the student’s English language skills to cope in an academic environment and if he/she cannot provide a satisfactory IELTS score or equivalent, the student will undergo the college English placement test and be required to complete it with a satisfactory result.
Assessments will be conducted face to face which could include:
- Direct observation – in a simulated classroom environment – usually role plays
- Product based methods – these are generally reports, case studies, projects and presentations.
- Questioning – written and verbal questioning is used for a number of assessment tasks.
- A combination of the above methods.
Job roles and titles vary across different industry sectors. Possible job titles relevant to this qualification include:
- Administration Assistant
- Sales Worker
- Community & Personal Services worker
- General Clerk
- Face to face at our Melbourne Campus – 20 hours per week of classroom based training sessions
- 8 hours of self study including structured self-directed learning & completing assessment work started in class
- Up to an hour per week of individual support if required
Units of Competence
|BSBOPS101||Use business resources|
|BSBPEF101||Plan and prepare for work readiness
|BSBWHS211||Contribute to the health and safety of self and others
|BSBOPS201||Work effectively in business environments
|BSBPEF202||Plan and apply time management|
|BSBSUS211||Participate in sustainable work practice|
- Lectures 0
- Quizzes 0
- Duration 50 hours
- Language English
- Students 1
- Assessments Yes