Australia is a land of contrasts: sweeping golden beaches, coral reefs rich with marine life, tropical rainforests, mountain ranges, vast grazing lands and sparse deserts. One of the oldest continents, Australia is the only country to occupy an entire continent.
Surrounded by the Indian and Pacific Oceans, Australia has many animals and plants, which are unique on the planet. The surface geology is typically old and flat with a major mountain range stretching down the eastern coast and another mountain range in the north west of the continent.
About 36 per cent of Victoria is forest. The Murray is the State’s longest river and there are a number of large inland lakes. Victoria’s vast coastline extends over 1600 kilometres, bordering the Southern Ocean and Bass Strait and separating the Australian mainland from Tasmania.
Victoria is the most densely populated of 8 States and Territories of Australia. Some 26 per cent of all Australians live in Victoria and, of those, most reside in Melbourne, the nation’s second largest city and capital of this state.
A Good Choice for Study
There are more than 50,000 overseas students studying in Australia and each year approximately 15,000 students from the Asia Pacific region arrive in Australia to continue their education.
They have chosen Australia for several reasons:
- Australia has a high quality education system, the equal of any country in the world.
- Australia offers traditional education in reputable schools, Institutes and universities.
- Awards from Australian institutions of higher education are recognized internationally.
- Australian universities, Institutes and schools have established networks of support to help overseas students.
- The Australian education system includes informality and accessibility of academic staff, the availability of computers, small group tutorials and close supervision.
- Living costs and tuition costs compare well with other countries and most overseas students are permitted to work part-time.
- Australia is a safe and stable country with a pleasant climate.